Master In Food Systems, full-time, second cycle programme (S2-PRK-MFS)
(in Polish: Master in Food Systems, stacjonarne, drugiego stopnia)
second cycle program
full-time, 2-years of study
Master studies, full-time, conducted in English, at the Faculty of Management at the University of Warsaw
Limit of vacancies: 15 (5 in the 1st intake, 10 in the 2nd intake).
The Master in Food System Programme is conducted within the consortium of EIT FOOD ivzw (EU) and: Uniwersytetu Warszawskiego, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Universität Hohenheim, University of Reading, Università degli Studi di Torino, Aarhus University and Lund University.
Master In Food Systems (MFS) studies are conducted in the discipline of Management and Quality Sciences (leading discipline, Social Sciences) and Food and Nutrition Technology (supplementary discipline, Agricultural Sciences).
The studies cover 4 semesters. Classes will be conducted according to the following schedule:
- 1st and 4th semester - at the Faculty of Management at the University of Warsaw, Szturmowa Street 1/3
- 2nd and 3rd semester - at two of the selected by student partner universities: Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Universität Hohenheim, University of Reading, Università degli Studi di Torino, Aarhus University and Lund University
The studies are charged with possibility to apply for a scholarship.
Master in Food Systems is an integrated master's program offered by the Faculty of Management in cooperation with the partner universities mentioned above. The MFS program promotes in-depth knowledge about value chain management in the food system. Students study consecutively at 3 universities in total, starting (and finishing) at the Faculty of Management at the University of Warsaw. Each academic institution offers semester blocks focused on distinctive areas of the food system. Modules are taught in a variety of formats, combining online and offline lectures withcase studies, co-creation and problem-solving activities, business plan development and master thesis. At each semester students implement modules offered by a given university in situ and one common module shared by students from all partner universities. The shared modules are as follows:
- 1st semester - the "Introduction to the food system" module (in the SPOC format - a specialized private online course) that will facilitate the selection of the mobility path.
- 2nd and 3rd semesters- off-site modules (several days) in the form of lectures and workshops. The 4th semester is entirely devoted to the master's thesis and research project for the master thesis.
Students receive master degree diplomas of the University of Warsaw with a supplement specifying with path description.
Students achieve learning outcomes in the area of knowledge, skills and competences resulting in the following graduate profile:
As to acquired knowledge, the graduate:
1. has in-depth knowledge of the nature of the discipline of "management and quality sciences" and its place in the social sciences system and its objective and methodological connections with other scientific disciplines, including the discipline of food and nutrition technologies;
2. learns and understand the terminology and methodology of research in the discipline of “managementand quality sciences” as well as in the discipline of food and nutrition technologies;
3. knows and understands the fundamental dilemmas of modern civilization related to the food system, including management of innovations and new technologies, marketing as well as production and consumption;
4. knows the procedures and practices of effective food system organizations’ management.
In the field of skills, the graduate:
1. can use the theory of discipline in management and quality sciences, food and nutrition technologies and complementary sciences to recognize, diagnose and solve problems related to key functions in organization in food systems;
2. can correctly interpret social, political, legal and economic phenomena and their impact on the functioning of food system organisations and the entire economy;
3. can independently and collectively prepare analyzes, diagnoses and reports on complex and unusual problems;
4. has an in-depth ability to prepare oral presentations and conduct debates with the use of basic theoretical approaches and various sources;
5. speaks a foreign language at B2 + level anduses specialist terminology in written and oral presentations;
6. has the ability to interact, work and lead in a group;
7. understands the need to supplement and expand the acquired knowledge and skills.
As to social competences, the graduate:
1. is able to critically assess complex situations and phenomena related to the functioning oforganizations, sector and the entire economy;
2. can think and act in an entrepreneurial way on a global scale;
3. shows sensitivity to ethical, social and cultural differences and is ready to develop industry ethical standards.
Potential job vacancies for graduates: marketing, production management and logistics, processes optimisation for production and logistics, new products developers, analysts of the broadly understood agri-food sector, consultants and advisers, specialists in food quality assurance and in food security management. The MFS promotes entrepreneurship and self-employment by enhancingstart-ups development.
To apply please follow the link: https://mfs-apply.eitfood.eu/
Access to further studies:
Knowledge: the graduate knows and understands
K_W01 knows and understands to an in-depth degree the facts, objects and phenomena, as well as the main development trends in the discipline of management and quality science, and advanced research methodology in this discipline
K_W02 knows and understands at an advanced level the principles, procedures and practices of effective organization management related to: analyzing, planning, organizing, motivating, controlling and coordinating with regard to the entire organization and individual functions
K_W03 knows and understands to a greater extent selected facts, objects and phenomena, as well as the main development trends in the discipline of food and nutrition technology, and complementary disciplines in the field of agricultural sciences
K_W04 knows and understands the fundamental dilemmas of modern civilization related to the food system, including the management of innovations and new technologies, marketing and consumption of food products
K_W05 knows and understands the complex processes and phenomena occurring in various types of food system organization and in the world around them, including the principles of industrial property protection and copyright
K_W06 knows and understands the basic principles of creating and developing various forms of entrepreneurship in the food system
K_W07 knows and understands the fundamental dilemmas of modern civilization related to the food system in the field of nutrition, food production and ensuring food safety
K_W08 knows and understands the complex processes and phenomena occurring in the process of food design and production, and the conditions of this process
Skills: the graduate can
K_U01 can use the theory of the discipline of management and quality sciences and complementary sciences to identify, diagnose and solve problems related to key functions in the organization, and to integrate them within the organizational strategy, formulating and verifying hypotheses, using the appropriate selection of sources, and adapting existing or developing new methods
K_U02 can correctly interpret social, political, legal and economic phenomena and their impact on the functioning of the organization and the entire economy, using the right selection of sources and methods
K_U03 can use their knowledge in the field of food technology and nutrition, as well as complementary disciplines in the field of agricultural sciences to formulate and solve complex and unusual problems and perform tasks in an innovative way
K_U04 is able to independently, and as a team member, prepare analyzes and diagnoses regarding the functioning of the organization, present them in a communicative manner, and conduct a debate on the analyzed issues
K_U05 is able to analyze a problem in the field of food and nutrition, and then communicate the results of their work, conclusions or solutions in a communicative manner, as well as undertake a discussion on the analyzed problem
K_U06 can plan and organize their own work and a teamwork
K_U07 has the ability to self-educate and improve the acquired qualifications.
Social competences: the graduate is ready to
K_K01 is ready to evaluate and critically approach situations and phenomena, and to consult experts in the event of difficulties in solving the problem on their own
K_K02 is ready to comply with ethical standards and act in the public interest
K_K03 is ready to think and act in an entrepreneurial way
K_K04 is ready to perform responsible professional roles in the field of food system management