ental Studies - Inner Asia: Mongolian and Tibetan Studies (in English), full time, second cycle (S2-PRK-OR-IAMTS)
(in Polish: Oriental Studies - Inner Asia: Mongolian and Tibetan Studies (in English), stacjonarne, drugiego stopnia)
second cycle programme
full-time, 2-year studies
Language: English, Mongolian, Polish, Tibetan
Inner Asia, with Mongolia and Tibet, is a region of fascinating cultures. This is where the Mongol Empire and Tibetan civilization came into being. The interdisciplinary program of studies acquaints with the history of the region, languages used in the past and at present (Mongolian and Tibetan) as well as with many aspects of culture, including religion (Buddhism, Shamanism), literature and art.
The program has been based on many years of experience and practice in teaching and researching problems of the region of Inner Asia, particularly Mongolia and Tibet.
The program runs for two years (four semesters). All classes are offered in English.
Teaching staff consists of scholars who are experts in the field. Language classes are conducted by native speakers. Additionally, in order to upgrade their qualification and language skills, students have the possibility to travel to Mongolia for a language or research training.
The graduates will be qualified to take up posts in public administration, universities, national or international institutions and organizations, especially within the domain of culture.
In order to receive the Master's degree (official title, in Polish Magister), the graduates will be required to write a Master's thesis and pass the examination.
More detailed information on the program of the studies and the field can be found at: www.siap.uw.edu.pl
Access to further studies:
1. Learning outcomes:
- has in-depth and detailed knowledge (including terminology, theory and methodology) in studies on literature or language or culture and religion
- has extended knowledge of particular problems pertaining to the cultures of the Orient or Africa (within the scope of culture and
- literature or language or culture and religion issues) in a comparative perspective
- has extended knowledge of particular problems pertaining to the culture of Inner Asia, Mongolia and Tibet (within the scope of culture and literature or language and religion or history and socio-political issues)
- has extended and deepened knowledge of the language(s) of Inner Asia, Mongolia and Tibet
- has detailed knowledge pertaining to the state of research on chosen issues related to Inner Asia, Mongolia and Tibet as well as in-depth knowledge of research centres in Poland and all over the world
- knows and understands methods of advanced analysis and interpretation of various products of culture in Inner Asia, Mongolia and Tibet, which are relevant for selected traditions, theories and research schools within the scope of studies on literature, language, culture and religion
- knows and understands the local academic tradition (methods of analysis, interpretation and evaluation) in the context of Inner Asia, Mongolia and Tibet
- demonstrates good knowledge of contemporary cultural life Mongolia and Tibet
- has genuine knowledge of rules of communication, writing, reading in Mongolian and Tibetan language (contemporary and/or classical/dead language)
- has wide and profound knowledge of the structures and social relations as well as socio-cultural behavior in Mongolia and Tibet, which enables professional verbal communication in social and intercultural contexts
- knows and understands the rules of copyright and intellectual property management
2. No. of ECTS credits: 120, no. of semesters: 4.
3. The programme of study is not based on standards.
4. Number of ECTS points covering elective courses - 53 ECTS
The total number of ECTS points a student must obtain as part of classes conducted with direct participation of academic or other teachers
people conducting classes - min. 111 ECTS
Number of ECTS points in the course of classes in the field of humanities or social sciences (no less than 5 ECTS) - in the case of study fields assigned to disciplines within the fields
other than the humanities or social sciences - min. 5 ECTS
Number of ECTS points including classes shaping practical skills for a practical profile - Not applicable
Number of ECTS points covering classes related to academic activity conducted in the university in the discipline or disciplines for the general academic profile - 81 ECTS
5. Dimension, number of ECTS points, rules and form of apprenticeship - Not applicable