General school education with elements of special needs education 4101-2SPSZEPS
Contents of the course:
1) Developmental features of a child of early and late school age. Biological and physical development, development of cognitive processes (thinking, speech, perception, attention, memory), social-emotional and moral development. Physical and mental changes throughout adolescence.
2) Forms of child activity: learning, play. Development of interests. Broadening autonomy and independence. Socialisation of a child, contacts with peers. Social position of a child in a group. Meaning and importance of peer group for a child. Forms of friendships. Conflicts with peers, parents and teachers. Role of significant and influential persons. Change of influential persons, crisis of parental and teacher influence. Opposition during adolescence and its functions. Threats for children and adolescents: aggression, violence, addictions, informal groups.
3) Educational thresholds. Adaptation to shifting school reality, first educational choices. Initial vocational orientation. Ambitions and aspirations. Motivation.
4) Educational care on second educational stage. Nurture programme. Prevention programmes. Creating nurture climate. Dynamics of students’ group. Students’ cooperation. Conflict management, mediations. Stimulating of social-moral child development.
5) Disharmonies and developmental disorders in children versus their functioning in peer group. Behavioural disorders. Shy and hyperactive child.
6) Special education and its branches, tasks of special education, paradigm shift in special education.
7) Child with special educational needs in mainstream school (developmental disorders, Asperger’s syndrome, mental and nervous disorders).
8) Individualized Education Program (Indywidualny Program Edukacyjno-Terapeutyczny), Charter of Individual Student’s Needs (Karta Indywidualnych Potrzeb Ucznia) and Support Actions Plan (Plan Działań Wspierających) – rules of designing in-school documents regarding children with special educational needs.
9) Gifted children and their work at school.
10) Safety of children at school and outside it (outdoor classes, trips). Child health protection. Education for safety – caring for own and others’ safety
Type of course
K_W01 has general knowledge about nurture of a child of school age, knows, what school pedagogy deals with, knows basic rules of nurture at school, including inclusive and special school H1P_W01
K_W02 knows basic classifications of educational and didactical processes regarding second educational stage and rules controlling these processes H1P_W02
K_W03 knows most important traditional and contemporary pedagogical trends and systems (including special education systems) and understands their historical and cultural determinants H1P_W03
K_W04 properly defines basic terms from the field of school pedagogy. Knows, what class coherence is, what nurture tasks regarding a child are, identifies styles of nurture and education H1P_W06
K_W05 knows what the differences regarding methods of care and didactical work at school are (including inclusive classrooms) and knows what they stem from H1P_W07
K_W06 knows, what the aims of education are, knows basic taxonomies. Knows and understands pedagogical terminology regarding rules of school functioning, including inclusive schools and classes H1P_W09
K_U01 can use basic theoretical frameworks in order to analyse, diagnose and predict the trajectory of educational processes and to analyse strategies of practical actions regarding various contexts of primary school teacher’s work H1P_U01
K_U02 can describe and characterise cognitive, emotional and social processes regarding a child at second educational stage, taking into consideration various possible disabilities of a child H1P_U02; H1A_U01; H1A_U03; H1A_U10
K_U03 can apply gained knowledge in practical, everyday action. Can analyse and design own educational actions. Can prepare a developmental plan of a child H1P_U03
K_U04 can use theoretical conceptualisations in order to analyse motives and patterns of human behaviour, diagnose and predict situations and analyse strategies of practical actions in various contexts of teaching practice H1P_U04
K_U05 uses professional language, can use specialist terms in professional situations H1P_U06
K_U06 can design actions regarding cooperation between school and parents and/or extracurricular nurture and social institutions H1P_U07
K_K01 has conviction about the sense, value and need of undertaking psychological actions in school and out-of-school environment; is ready to take on professional challenges; displays activity and shows tenacity in realising individual and group professional actions linked to teaching practice H1P_K01
K_U02 has conviction about the importance of professional behaviour, reflects on ethical topics and abides by the provisions of teaching practice ethics H1P_K02
K_U03 acknowledges the significance of educational sciences for maintenance and development of bonds in social environments and relates gained knowledge to designing practical actions H1P_K03
K_U04 is aware of the level of their knowledge and skills, understands the need for lifelong learning and personal development, is able to make a self-assessment of competences and improves skills, as well as determines directions of own development and education H1P_K04
A blended learning course - 14 hours in class, 16 hours on Kampus e-learning platform.
Attendance obligatory (two absences acceptable, extra absences have to be justified).
40% of the final grade - results of tests on Kampus platform.
60% of the final grade - final written test in class.
Delaney M. Special Educational Needs, Oxford University Press 2016.
Dudzikowa M. Czerepaniak-Walczak M. (eds.), Wychowanie. Pojęcia. Procesy. Konteksty. Interdyscyplinarne ujęcie, GWP, Gdańsk 2007.
Kołakowski A., Jeżewska M., Sposób na trudne dziecko, GWP, Gdańsk 2014.
Niemierko B., Ocenianie szkolne bez tajemnic, WSiP, Warszawa 2002.
Mietzel G., Psychologia kształcenia, GWP, Gdańsk 2003.
Schaffer R., Psychologia dziecka. PWN, Warszawa 2012.
Scrivener, J., Learning teaching. Macmillan 2011.
Sliwerski B., Z. Kwieciński (eds.) Pedagogika. Podręcznik akademicki. T 1-2, Wyd. Naukowe PWN, Warszawa 2002. (and newer)
Szymański M.J, Zbróg Z. Zrozumieć szkołę. Konteksty zmiany. APS, Warszawa 2016.
Hornby G., Hall E., Hall C., Nauczyciel wychowawca, GWP, Gdańsk 2004.
Sliwerski B., Jak zmieniać szkołę? Oficyna Wydawnicza IMPULS, Kraków 2008.
Fenstermacher G.T. Soltis J., Style nauczania, WSiP, Warszawa 2005.
Kruszewski K. (ed.): Sztuka nauczania T.1. Czynności nauczyciela. T2. Szkoła. PWN, Warszawa 1991. (and newer)
Kruszewski K., Pedagogika w pokoju nauczycielskim, WSiP, Warszawa 2005.
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
- Teaching Foreign Languages, English, French (2nd subject), full time studies, first cycle programme
- Teaching foreign languages: English, 2nd subj. teaching 'history and social studies'
- Teaching Foreign Languages, English, German (2nd subject), full-time, first-cycle studies
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: