Cultural institutions and their principles 4018-KONW51
The seminar will analyse selected cultural institutions (in Poland and Europe) and their operation, in a case study approach. Each class will discuss one institution (e.g. museum, publishing house, opera house) in a historical aspect (from the earliest times) and in a contemporary view, by considering it in juxtaposition with the rules of organizing culture in Poland and Europe as well as joint cultural projects. Various categories related to the operations of these institutions will also be analysed, such as legal regulations, cultural policies, censorship, political correctness, etc.
The main aim of the course is to provide students with knowledge on the history of selected cultural institutions and how they function in the contemporary world. Students will analyse the changing social needs with respect to cultural life and how they can be satisfied.
The classes will provide students with practical information (for example on current legal regulations) allowing them to take part actively in cultural projects.
The syllabus contains only proposed topics for the individual blocks of classes and basic required reading. Any supplementary literature will depend on the interests and needs of the participants, and will be suggested during the course.
1. Cultural policy and cultural diplomacy
2. Historical and contemporary legal foundations of cultural institutions
3. The culture-building role of the Church as a patron of culture (in the past and today)
4. Censorship - an institution of culture and a repressive body (moral and political censorship)
5. Political correctness as a problem of contemporary culture
6. Culture in the centre and in the provinces
7. Collections and collecting
9. Publishing house
10. Ethnographic museum
11. Art museum
13. Opera house
18. Internet (?)
19. Other institutions of contemporary culture
20. The role of cultural institutions in culture (in the past and today)
Type of course
- knowledge on the history and contemporary operation of major cultural institutions;
- analysing the mechanisms of operation and evolution of major cultural institutions;
- competently evaluating the work of cultural institutions;
- identifying the methods of running cultural institutions and explaining cultural animation methods in different environments and different social contexts in Poland and Europe;
- understanding the correlation between the development of culture and social changes.
- presenting the results of one’s own analysis of a simple research problem in written and oral form;
- preparing a written and oral presentation accounting for the different needs of the potential audience;
- being able to take part in discussions on cultural studies issues, including presenting logical argumentation and drawing critical conclusions.
- taking part consciously in cultural life;
- being aware of the dynamic development of culture and the emergence of new research methods and paradigms;
- being able to work in a group both as a moderator and as someone completing a set task;
- being able to design and carry out a plan of work to contribute to a class, according to the teacher’s guidelines;
- knowing the rules and forms of operation of cultural institutions aimed at protecting and popularizing cultural heritage;
- actively following cultural events in Poland and around the world.
Credits will be awarded for being active in class and for attendance, and also for preparing (individually or in a group) a presentation about the beginnings and historical development of a given (suggested) cultural institution.
The final mark will be composed of the following:
- being prepared for class (being active) - 45%
- preparing a presentation - 35%
- attendance - 20%
B. Bieńkowska, Książka na przestrzeni dziejów, Warszawa 2006.
U. Eco, O bibliotece, przeł. A. Szymanowski. Warszawa 2007.
U. Eco, Szaleństwo katalogowanie, przeł. T. Kwiecień, Warszawa 2009.
R. Golat, Podstawy prawa kultury, Poznań 2006.
D. Fox, Kabarety i rewie międzywojennej Warszawy, Katowice 2007.
D. Ilczuk, Polityka kulturalna w społeczeństwie obywatelskim, Kraków 2002.
Instytucje kultury w Polsce. Informator, Warszawa 2000.
J. Kłoczowski, Chrześcijaństwo i historia, Kraków 1990.
Księga cenzury PRL, Londyn 1977.
Muzeum sztuki. Antologia, pod red. M. Popczyk, Kraków 2005.
G. Pawelska-Skrzypek, Polityka kulturalna polskich samorządów: wybrane zagadnienia, Kraków 2003.
„Polskie regiony w europejskiej przestrzeni kulturowej", nr 8: Biblioteki i archiwa, nr 9: Sponsoring kultury.
K. Pomian, Zbieracze i osobliwości: Paryż - Wenecja XVI-XVIII wiek, przeł. A. Pieńkos, Warszawa 1996.
B. Szyndler, Biblioteka króla Stanisława Augusta Poniatowskiego, Kielce 1997.
T. E. Woods, Jak Kościół katolicki zbudował cywilizację zachodnią, Warszawa 2006.
Z. Żygulski, Muzea na świecie. Wstęp do muzealnictwa, Warszawa 1982.
A. Zwoliński, Słowo w relacjach społecznych (rozdz. VIII, Nowa nowomowa), Kraków 2003.
S. Žižek, M. Dolar, Druga śmierć opery. Warszawa 2008
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: