Selected issues of culture of regions 4018-KONW25
The seminar discusses selected issues of the culture of the Mediterranean region.
The seminar aims to familiarize students of specialist Mediterranean Studies with issues of the culture of Mediterranean regions in a broad sense. Students will perform an in-depth analysis – primarily in a comparative approach – of elements of studies on the Mediterranean region, chiefly in a cultural studies and historical approach, based on films.
The course is divided into the following thematic blocks:
1. Mediterranean culture
2. Mediterranean regions
3. The Mediterranean in the contemporary world
4. Mediterranean countries
Decolonization in a cultural approach.
Type of course
- have organized, in-depth, detailed knowledge on the culture of a given Mediterranean region, as needed for their specialization;
- have in-depth knowledge on contemporary cultural life in Poland and in a given Mediterranean country;
- have in-depth knowledge on language as the main expression and medium of a given culture, reflecting the most important historical and cultural processes;
- be able to find and interpret information using different sources, and critically assess its reliability;
- be able to interpret and analyse texts of culture, accounting for their historical and regional context;
- be able to take part in discussions on cultural studies issues, formulating logical argumentation and critical conclusions;
- be able to respond to the views of others and to the hypotheses of researchers.
Credits will be based on active participation in class and a semester paper on a selected issue.
„Agora”, reż. A. Amenábar;
„Królestwo niebieskie”, reż. R. Scott;
„Dziewczyna marzeń”, reż. F. Trueba;
„Bitwa o Algier”, reż. G. Pontecorvo;
„Ziemia i wolność”, reż. K. Loach;
„Kapitan Corelli”, reż. J. Madden;
„Bitwa trzech króli”, reż. S. Ben-Barka, U. Nazarov.
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: