Savoir vivre 4003-114-k-sv
Savoir vivre is a collection of practical, important and flexible norms of conduct, useful and valid at every moment of every average human’s life. It is conducive to success at work, winning over business partners, family and friends, reinforcing one’s authority. Having this knowledge not only bears testimony to one’s social position and helps achieve success in life. Savoir vivre teaches good manners, which is an element of one’s personality that employers value equally with intelligence, erudition, creativity and experience. It is an element especially important for people with a diploma, crucial for those whose professional work involves representing a country and its society.
DURING THE CLASSES THE STUDENTS WILL:
1. Learn the rules governing greetings, farewells, introductions and choosing the correct form of address, applied in both professional and private environments. Students will also receive guidelines on how to handle difficult and unique situations.
2. Learn what it means to be tactful, cultured. Students learn diplomacy, sensitivity to other people, empathy.
3. Learn the rules of conducting a cultured discussion, defending one’s views in a measured way, tactfully expressing negative opinions.
4. Learn the proper reactions to untypical behaviour of other people, their blunders, mistakes and rudeness.
5. Become aware of sharing the responsibility for Poland’s image in the international arena.
6. Learn the rules of hosting guests and paying visits.
7. Learn the rules of polite behaviour at the table, during both everyday meals and refined receptions. Students will also master the proper use of cutlery and receive tips on how to deal with various crises that might arise at the table.
8. Become familiar with the requirements of dress code in the workplace. Students will learn how to use proper appearance to inspire trust in and respect for oneself.
9. Learn the characteristics of various types of attires and their use depending on the circumstances, time of day, etc.
10. Become aware of the fact that their appearance in professional surroundings is not their own business but an important element of the image of their employer, be it an institution, a state office, a company.
classes - 15 h
preparation to the classes - 45 h
total - 60 h
Type of course
After completing the course the students will:
1. Know norms of conduct observed in the contemporary world as well as the ability to apply them in practice;
2. Acquire suitable confidence and a sense of being able to handle various situations;
3. Know how to avoid conflicts, humiliation, embarrassment;
4. Know how build trust, authority and discipline while gaining sympathy from acquaintances, winning over subordinates, gaining the respect of co-workers and the recognition of superiors;
5. Know how to create one’s image;
6. Be able to recognise unethical, impolite behaviour;
7. Acquire greater sensitivity to other people’s emotions and behaviours.
The main requirement for obtaining credit is attendance and participation in all the lectures. Missing 2 meetings (8 lecture hours) results in removal from the list. One absence can be made up for by participating in the relevant class with a different group or at a different university.
1) Tomasz Orłowski "Protokół Dyplomatyczny. Ceremoniał i etykieta" .Polski Instytut Spraw Międzynarodowych Warszawa, 2006
2) E. Pietkiewicz „ Dyplomaci” . Wydawn. Comer. Warszawa 1993
3) Hans Georg Schnitzer „Poradnik Współczesnego Savoir - vivre`u” . Wyd.. Delta W-wa 1996
4) Bernhard Roetzel „Gentleman. Moda ponadczasowa” Wyd. Konemann, 2007 Wył. dystrybutor - Firma księgarska Jacek Olesiejuk
5) Arantxa G.de Castro - "Poradnik dobrych manier" - Świat Książki Warszawa, 2003
6) Deborah Lynn Darling - "Elementarz dobrego gustu" - Klub dla Ciebie, Warszawa, 2004
7) Ann Marie Sabath "Savoir vivre w biznesie" Gazeta Prawna - Amber , Warszawa, 2002
8) Herbert Schwinghammer "Wielka księga savoir- wivre`u Klub dla Ciebie - Bauer-Weltbild media Sp.K. Warszawa, 2003
9) Mary Spillane "Zaprezentuj siebie" Wyd. Muza SA., Warszawa, 1998
10) Lisa Gutowska "Nowy Savoir vivre" Wyd. Veda, Warszawa, 2004
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: