Community development 3401-PS11RSL3
The course consists of 6 subject areas:
1.Introduction to sociology of local community: basic social mechanisms and processes: social relationships, ties and groups, social capital, local authorities, local civil society.
2.Explaining and analyzing basic macro practice concepts: community capacity, community participation, community empowerment, community organizing, community development.
3.Origin and development of community practice in USA, UK and Poland.
4.Community capacity building: community resources/assets assessment, ties/groups building, partnership and coalition building, social advocacy.
5.Local social planning: community needs assessment, social services development, program and services monitoring and evaluation.
6.Community economic development: stimulating local economical projects, social entrepreneurship and social enterprises
Type of course
Students will be able to:
as far as knowledge is concerned
- describe basic structures, processes and mechanisms of local community
- describe origin and development of macro practice in USA, UK and Poland
- describe the models of macro practice and their applicability
as far as skills is concerned
- apply with understanding basic concepts of macro practice
- explain processes of change in a community and its sustainability
- asses community capacity and needs
- select a model of intervention fitting to community conditions
as far as attitudes is concerned
- understand and recognize the value of macro practice in developing and strengthening local democracy and stimulating socio-economical development of poor communities
Achievement test at the end of the semester
Assessment of the student involvement in the class activities.
Henzler, P., Skrzypczak, B. (red) Kim jest animator społeczny, Warszawa, CWAL CAL, 2006
Kaźmierczak, T. (red.) W poszukiwaniu strategii pobudzania oddolnego rozwoju społeczności wiejskich, Warszawa, ISP, 2008
Kaźmierczak, T. (red), Zmiana w społeczności lokalnej, Warszawa, ISP, 2008
Kaźmierczak, T. , Hernik, K. (red.) Społeczność lokalna w działaniu, ISP, 2008,
Netting, F.E., Kettner, P., McMurtry, S., Social Work Macro Practice, Pearson, Boston, 2004
Szatur-Jaworska, B. Diagnozowanie w polityce społecznej, IPS UW, Warszawa, 2003
Sztompka, P., Socjologia, Znak, Krąków, 2002
Twelvetrees, A. Community work, Palgrave, 2002
Weil, M., (ed.) The Handbook of Community Practice, Sage Publications, London, 2005
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: