Learning of languages of the region: Russian - level B2 3224-DNJRRB2-IIst
Upon completion a student can understand the main ideas of complex texts on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization; s/he can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party; s/he can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
The course content: My town, architecture, types of buildings; University, object of studies, types of courses, forms of studying; The significance of education. Lifelong learning. Studying abroad. Comparing studies at Poland and at the other countries; Working in a city and in a village. Job application, employment, duties; New professions; Unemployment. Qualifications and demands. Employment problems. The interview; Tourism/travelling; Health and sport; money: currency, income, profit, loss, debt; Bank: opening a bank account, agreements, forms of saving; Mass and high culture; TV, radio. Art. Artists; Theater. Movie; Museums, galleries. Painting, sculpture; Music. Literature; Cultural events. Theater, movie, music festivals; concerts. Globalization of culture; traditions. Customs and traditions of other nations; National cuisines. Cultural stereotypes. Recent social and political events. Ecology: problems, attempts to find solutions, perspectives; ecological actions, environmental organizations; Natural calamities and disasters (floods, drought, fire, hurricane, avalanche, famine, war, pestilence); IT. Press. Telecommunications.
Student workload includes:
Classroom participation – 90 hours (4 ECTS)
Preparing for classes – 45 hours (2 ECTS)
Type of course
A student is practicing without having to fear his/her speech communication on the upper intermediate level:
On completing the course, the student:
1. makes use of knowledge of culture of a given lingusitic region; acquired during the course;
2. a graduate knows and understands at an upper intermediate level the sophisticated nature of a language;
3. one has sufficient vocabulary at an upper intermediate level (with particular focus on the vocabulary included in Full description);
4. one has knowledge at upper intermediate level about the description of a language system;
5. one knows selected issues (See: Full description).
1. explains, both orally and in writing, information presented in a graphic way, as long as it relates to a familiar topic;
2. expresses, with a degree of fluency, his/her own opinions on familiar topics and those related to the subject of studies of professional career, presenting appropriate arguments in a debate;
3. makes a synthesis of a text (written or spoken), eg. from a lecture, presentation, TV programme, relating to a wide range of topics of social, academic or professional life;
4. writes a coherent and logical text on familiar topics, eg. a description, an essay, a report, a formal and an informal letter;
5. gives a presentation, using an appropriate form and phrases, on professional and academic topics;
6. enters into a conversation on everyday topics in a rather fluent and comprehensible way, using culturally accepted verbal and non-verbal means and an appropriate register in both formal and informal situations.
1. one is able to collaborate in pair as well as in a group of people;
2. one knows learning strategies and understands the need for lifelong learning;
3. one knows basic social norms and their relevant verbal and nonverbal reactions which are obligatory in the definite cultural and linguistic area;
4. one detects cultural differences and demonstrates the tolerance for users of other languages.
Concerning the specific learning outcomes after completing the course, the student acquires skills:
1. knows and understands in an upper intermediate way the comprehensive nature of the language, with particular emphasis on the cultural context of Russia.
2. can prepare written and oral asserting in Russian on selected subjects in the field of cultural theory and the issues of the countries of the region (political, social and economic issues in contexts of cultural phenomena). Thus, they can present the results of their work in the Group forum.
3. able to use the Russian language at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
4. can use modern communication and information technologies in his work.
The coursebook: Андрей Махнач, Из первых уст, Русский язык для среднего уровня, dictionaries, additional materials provided by the lecturer, recordings etc.
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: