Principles of information science for business 2600-DSMdz1PIDB
Examples of Microsoft Word editor applications in the organization:
1. text formatting and using formatted tables,
2. additional document editing functions,
3. creation of an automatic table of contents of the document, list of figures and tables, index of entries, bibliography, etc.
4. working with reviewing functions.
Examples of Microsoft Excel spreadsheet applications in the organization:
1. formatting cells and using formulas,
2. creating financial simulations,
3. using built-in and automated functions,
4. working with data from multiple spreadsheets,
5. creating charts with one and multiple data series,
6. introduction to the use of financial functions in a spreadsheet,
7. database functions in a spreadsheet - simple and multi-level data sorting, data filtering using autofilter and advanced filtering,
8. pivot tables in data analysis.
Type of course
Upon completion of the subject:
The student knows the types of information and communication systems that support business management and understands the principles, procedures and practices involved in using Word and Excel. (K_W02)
The student knows the areas of business the support of which is key to improving process efficiency. He/she also understands the need for tools to support management processes, including management information systems and tools such as word processing and spreadsheets. (K_W05)
The student can apply knowledge of the principles, procedures and practices related to using Word and Excel and other computer tools and apply them in practice. (K_U01)
The student knows the functionalities of tools that support business management and can define the needs of enterprises requiring information system support and prepare analyses, diagnoses and reports in Word and Excel. (K_U03)
The student can apply analytical, simulation and experimental methods in projects and develop his/her skills in this area. The student looks for solutions and improves his skills as regards the practical application of word processing and spreadsheet functions. (K_U06)
The student can analyze Word documents or Excel spreadsheets for errors, inaccuracies or inconsistencies and make necessary corrections. (K_K01)
Practical laboratory classes using:
1. Microsoft Word,
2. Microsoft Excel.
Projects and practical assignments and two practical tests assessing students’ competence.
1. Kisielnicki J., Systemy informatyczne zarzadzania, Agencja Wydawnicza Placet, Warszawa 2013,
2. Januszewski A., Funkcjonalność informatycznych systemów zarządzania, Tom I i II, PWN, Warszawa 2023,
3. Wrotek, W., Office 2019 PL. Kurs (ebook)
4. Kerzner H. Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling, and Controlling, 12th Edition, J. Wiley and Sons Inc., USA, 2017,
5. Turban, E., Pollard, C., Wood, G., Information Technology for Management: Driving Digital Transformation to Increase Local and Global Performance, Growth and Sustainability 12th edition, John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, NY, 2020,
6. Internet resources related to the content of the course.
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: