Finance I 2400-PP2FI1
Individual meetings of the lecture are focused on the following matters:
1. The role and structure of the financial system - characteristics of money, circular motion in the economy, characteristics, elements and functions of the financial system. Warsaw Stock Exchange.Types of financial instruments and financial markets (spot, futures and forward, option).
2. Money market - segments and instruments of the money market, interbank deposits, bills, certificates.
3. Capital market. Structure of the market. Stock markets worldwide. Primary market. Stock exchange. Asssets traded. Risk on capital market. Investing on the stock market. Framework of fundamental analysis. Common Ratios and what they mean. Technical Analysis. Trendlines. Price patterns.
4. Analysis and valuation of bonds - types of bonds, the factors affecting the price of bonds, the gross price, the net price and interest accrued on the bonds, numerical characteristics of bonds, interest rate risk, bond-investment strategies (immunization, strategy of the adjustment of cash flows).
5. Structure and analysis of financial statements - types, importance and auditing of financial statements, elements of financial statements, vertical and horizontal analysis of the balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statement. Criteria for investment decisions - financial investment, simple and discounted payback period, return on investment period and annual, the net present value, internal rate of return.
Type of course
Basic and medium level knowledge about markets, securities, general environment, conditions and rules for undertaking financial decisions.
KW01, KW02, KW03, KU01, KU02, KU03, KU04,
Written exam, 3 of 4 exercises.
W. Dębski, “Rynek finansowy i jego mechanizmy”, PWN 2014
Blake, Financial Market Analysis, John Wiley and Sons, 2000
J. Czekaj, ,,Rynki, instrumenty i instytucje finansowe’’, PWN 2008
K.Jajuga, T. Jajuga, Inwestycje. Instrumenty finansowe. Aktywa niefinansowe. Ryzyko finansowe. Inżynieria finansowa. PWN 2015
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: