MS1-Specialization module - the basics of andragogy 2300-MS1-AND-L
The objective of the module is to equip students with basic knowledge, abilities and social competencies necessary in the work of an andragogue, which also form a basis for further study of the selected specialization. Students will acquire basic and most up to date andragogical knowledge, which will allow them to understand the contemporary issues of adult education in broad contexts, as well as evaluate applied practical solutions to those issues. Students will gain knowledge on the current concepts of lifelong learning and the practical application of these concepts. In addition, students will be equipped with skills needed to plan their own cognitive development in the course of their university education, as well as helping them to independently acquire knowledge.
Type of course
1. is well acquainted with the basic concepts of andragogy and understands the patterns governing the origin of their constitutive features and the semantic ranges,
2. is well acquainted with the human development patterns in the period of early, middle and late adulthood, the consequences of the developmental changes for the learning process and the opportunities in which education can support the development in adults
3. knows the basic concepts of adult development, understands their nature, potential and limitations
4. knows and understands the importance of crises in the life of an adult, and the importance of education in overcoming them
5. knows and understands the differences in learning in children/adolescents and adults
6. knows the basic models of educational work with adults, understands the differences between them and their learning potential
7. knows the mechanisms motivating adults to participate in education
8. knows the genesis and development of the theory and practice of lifelong education in Poland and abroad
9. knows and understand the needs of specific groups of adult learners and various forms of education used to cater to them
10. knows and understands the structure of the contemporary adult education system in Poland and its various conditions /historical, political, economic, social, legal/
11. knows practical educational solutions in the field of formal, non-formal and informal adult education for various groups of recipients
12. knows the basic knowledge about analyzing the state of adult education in Poland in various areas (voivodeship, poviat, commune and district)
13. knows the methods and techniques of arranging educational events
1. is able to identify the adult stages of development, including the specific development tasks
2. is able to apply the acquired knowledge for self reflection on changes occurring in specific phases and areas of adult’s life
3. is able to select and apply various strategies to improve own learning process and support the process in other adults
4. is able to utilize the acquired knowledge to assess his own learning style
5. is able to diagnose his own learning style and match it with suitable learning techniques
6. is able to interpret the differences between the pedagogical and andragogical model of adult education
7. is able to analyze the difficulties arising in the process of adult education and come up with solutions
8. is able to predict and determine the consequences of choosing models of adult education
9. can plan an educational activity in the relevant area of formal, non-formal and informal education and justify its decision
10. is able to critically evaluate the practical solutions functioning in the system of adult education in Poland (presenting the advantages and disadvantages) and propose the solutions
11. is able to analysis a selected form of adult education in Poland
12. is able to plan and organize an educational event for adults
1. carries out own educational process in a responsible and conscientious manner.
2. is clear and balanced in communicating his needs and formulating opinions; while presenting own point of view takes into account the opinions and views of other course participants, relating to them with respect, irrespective of their point of view
3. is able to work in a team, taking active participation in planning, allocation and execution of tasks
4. has a critical approach to the issues analyzed during the course
5. shows an open attitude to difficulties and needs of other participants, supports them in finding solutions
6. appreciates and understands the need for constant improvement of one’s professional competencies
Students will be able to go for the module exam upon successfully passing all the courses within the module.
The basis for passing the module will be a case study (subject: adult education) interpretation based on its description and the questions attached to this description to which the student will be required to provide answers drawing from the acquired knowledge.
Apprenticeship of 30 hours
T. Aleksander: Andragogika. Podręcznik akademicki, Radom 2009.
J. Kargul: Obszary pozaformalnej i nieformalnej edukacji dorosłych. Przesłanki do budowy teorii edukacji całożyciowej, Wrocław 2005.
M. Malewski : Od nauczania do uczenia się. O paradygmatycznej zmianie w andragogice, Wrocław 2010.
Z. Pietrasiński: Rozwój człowieka dorosłego, Warszawa 1990.
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: