MD/PS-Methods of Working with Children 2300-MD/PS-MPD
The aim of the course is to acquire basic knowledge about individual and group methods and techniques of psycho-pedagogical help used by a pedagogue, educator, class tutor or teacher. During the classes, students will practice the skills necessary to work in a group and conduct various groups. They also will learn how to determine work goals, choose methods, plan activities that meet specified goals and evaluation.
The topics of the classes will focus on the following issues:
- Group support methods for children and adolescents - types of groups,
- Street pedagogy, streetwork as a method of working in an open environment
- Sociotherapy as a method of group assistance for children and adolescents
- Behavioral and cognitive-behavioral therapy and its practical applications in working with children and adolescents
- Relaxation and concentration techniques on coping with stress
- A non-violent communication
- Therapy through art and therapy through play - its types and applications
- Fairytale therapy - a way to deal with children's anxiety
- Drama and the possibility of using it as a method to work with children and teenagers
- Other methods - depending on the choice and interests of students.
Type of course
- Lists and describes methods of psycho-pedagogical work learned during classes
- Explains the theoretical basis for the effectiveness of individual methods and critically analyzes them
- Recognizes the advantages and limitations of selected methods of working with children and young people
- Analyzes and compares different methods of working with children's and youth groups
- Plans and skilfully chooses work methodstailored to the needs of participants
- Applies the methods learned to work with children or youth in practice
Social competences and attitudes:
- Improves the skills of working with others and managing the team
- Accepts the existence of ethical standards in working with children and young people
- Appreciates the need for continuous self-education and personal development as elements necessary in educational work
The requirements for passing the course:
- presence (2 absences allowed per semester)
- preparation of presentations and written elaboration on one selected method
- conducting a fragment of classes using one chosen method.
In case of more absences than allowed or lack of preparation for the course, the student is required to complete the outstanding material.
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: