Enzymology, the first 1400-114ENZ1
The aim of this practical course is to introduce students to modern methods in enzyme kinetics, extraction and purification of enzymes from different biological sources as well as the practical application of enzymes in pharmaceutical and biotechnological industry and medical diagnostics. Students should perform five laboratory experiments of the list:
1. Determination of enzyme activity as an essential tool in medical diagnostic - estimation of aminotransferases activities in rabbit serum
2. Application of enzymes in biotechnology - stabilization of enzyme activity against high temperature by
treatment with organic solvents
3. Application of enzymes in pharmacology - L-DOPA production by mushroom tyrosinase. Estimation of specific enzyme activity.
4. Introduction to chemical and enzymatic kinetics by numerical simulation with Gepasi computer program
5. Purification of lactate dehydrogenase and/or alcohol and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenases with the use
of affinity chromatography.
Main fields of studies for MISMaP
Type of course
A. Zgirski, R. Gondko Obliczenia Biochemiczne, PWN 1998
J.M Berg, J.L. Tymoczko, L. Stryer Biochemistry, Chapters 3,4, 8-10, Freeman and Co, 2002
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: