Cell Biology M 1400-112BK-M
"Biology of the Cell" covers the current knowledge of the cell structure and functions including: the basic cytological and molecular biology methods, differences between pro- and eukaryotic cells, structures and functions of the cellular organelles, cytoskeleton and cell-cycle checkpoint system with molecular aspects of mitosis, meiosis and cytokinesis.
In addition the lectures concerning: the stem cells, apoptosis and stucture and functions of cell membranes.
Basic microscopy techniques including fluorescent and confocal microscopy.
Current techniques of molecular cell biology - cytochemistry, immunocytochemistry, autoradiography, in situ hybridization.
Structure and function of cytoskeleton. Cell movements.
Eukaryotic cell cycle.
Analysis of the normal and defective human karyotypes.
Main fields of studies for MISMaP
Type of course
1. Understanding of structure and function of basic bioactive macromolecules (K_W04 BI 1).
2. Understanding of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell function. Understanding of plant and animal cell function and relation between cell structure and function (K_W05 BI 1, K_W06 BI 1).
3. Understanding of complex biological processes at cellular level (K_W10 BI 1).
4. Understanding of cell-environment relationship ( K_W14 BI 1).
5. Understanding of basic biochemistry, cell biology, genetics and molecular biology (K_W13 BI 1).
1. Using advanced experimental cell biology techniques (K_U01 BI 1 )
2. Studying scientific and popular papers on cell biology published in Polish or English. Communicating in English (level B2) (K_U03 BI 1)
3. Preparing multimedial or written presentations, analyzing and discussing obtained results (K_U04 BI 1, K_U05 BI 1).
4. Planning and conducting of basic experiments (K_U06 BI 1, K_U07 BI 1).
1. Broading his/her interest in biological sciences. Actualizing knowledge on cell biology (K_K01 BI 1I, K_K04 BI 1, K_K06 BI 1)
2. Improving his/her team working abilities (K_K06 BI 1, K_K07 BI 1).
3. Carefully and critically interpreting knowledge and information coming from scientific literature and mass media (K_K08 BI 1).
4. Assessing the risks associated with the research techniques used. Expressing responsibility of safe work conditions (K_K05 BI 1).
Alberts et al. Molecular Biology of the Cell. Garland Publishing Inc. 2002
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: