“On friendly terms with geology” – XI Geological Picnic 1300-WGPBXI
The seminar is focused on the delivery of earlier acquired knowledge in geology and natural sciences to a general audience. It is conducted in form of short presentations, also with application of multimedia or educational models. Educational posters are made, which are later utilized during stationary and field courses. The presentations are focused on: conventional sources of energy, energy resources, their origin, production and utilization, unconventional sources of energy, with focus on environmental protection, geological processes leading to the formation of geological structures prospective for ore deposits. The presentations also discuss the application of various resources by man over the centuries, from prehistoric times till present, and possible application in the future. Earth’s history from its formation till present is shown, with influence of processes shaping particular continents in different geological epochs, and evolution of flora and fauna. Application of various resources, such as rocks, in architecture and art, and the most famous buildings in Poland and the world made from these rocks are presented.
The lab includes individual work on simple experiments, showing the properties of selected energy, chemical and metal resources used by man.
Type of course
On completion of the course, the student:
- has knowledge on the structure of the Earth, the geological processes that shape it and the origin of deposits of mineral resources,
- individually analyses the possible course of geological processes leading to the formation and accumulation of ores,
- has the ability to deliver his knowledge in a short presentation,
- can explain the significance of unconventional sources of energy with particular focus on environmental protection,
- can point out the application of rock resources in architecture and art,
- can individually conduct simple geological and chemical experiments and describes them comprehensively.
The assessment includes:
- short presentation, its merits and delivery,
- preparation of an educational poster and its merits or preparation of a written report on a given topic.
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: