Mechanics and strength of materials 1300-OMW2LCW
1. Introduction to mechanics: technical mechanics, general mechanics, kinematics, dynamics, statics, kinetics and strength of materials (definitions and dependencies).
2. Classifications of loads, vector notation, the conditions of static equilibrium and conditions of statically determinate, convergent and arbitrary system of forces.
3. Determination of load at a point and internal forces in beams.
4. Determination of shear forces and bending moments.
5. Fundamentals of kinematics and dynamics.
6. Statical moment and moment of inertia, principal axes of inertia,
7. Two-dimensional state of stress, Hooke's law, Mohr's circle.
8. A simple tensile and compression, stress and deformations, Saint-Venant's principle.
9. The eccentric load.
10. Simple bending, Bernoullie’s hypothesis, bending equation.
11. A complex state of stress.
1. Selected problems of statics, equilibrium conditions: two-dimensional convergent system of forces and arbitrary system of forces (graphical method and accounting) - 8 hours.
2. The balance of structure components - statically determinate systems - 4 hours.
3. Geometry of fields: determination of static torque, center of gravity, moment of inertia, Steiner's theorem, moment of deviation, the main axis of inertia and flexural strength for rectangular section - 2 hours.
4. The maximum compressive forces and bending moments in structures
beam - 4 hours.
5. Statically indeterminate systems - 2 hours.
6. The eccentric compressive: stress value at any point of the bar, determining the neutral axis and the core cross-section - 4 hours.
7. Basic knowledge of strength of materials in the process of: compression, tension, torsion, buckling and bending - 6 hours.
Type of course
After completing the course the student:
- determines the net force of any system of forces using calculation method,
- determines the net force of any system of forces using graphical method,
- determines reactions in statically determinate beams,
- does graphs of bending moments and shear forces for statically determinate beams,
- develops cross-section of beams,
- graphically solves statically indeterminate beams,
- designates a core section,
- calculates stresses in the beam under eccentrically load condition,
- determine the neutral axis of the rod (beam) under eccentrically load condition.
- solves simple strength cases.
- Knowledge of the material presented during the lectures,
- Knowledge of the knowledge gained during the classes.
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: