Environmental engineering 1300-OGIS4CW
The aim of the course is to present methods of testing and engineering solutions used in a variety of geological conditions to improve the soil properties. The main issues are:
1.Geological conditions for the localization selection of engineering objects against a requirements of the geological law, the construction and the environmental protection law.
2. Determination of the soil-water parameters and environmental parameters for the geoengineering design.
3. Methods for assessment the resilience of geological environment on the influence of anthropogenic pressure, geological barriers - the principle of geo-environmental cartography, GIS applications
4. The impact of contamination on the properties of the soil-water medium
5. Permeability and consolidation of soil in dewatering conditions
6. Piles of sand and gravel: the rules of design and execution, evaluation of subsoil strengthening - bearing capacity and deformability
7. Soil replacing: the choice of material, designing of densities
8. Improving soil properties: injections, electroosmosis, freezing.
9. Geotextiles: classification, principles and application examples
10. Forming the slopes: slope angle, drainage, retaining structures, the use of geotextiles, texsol, soil reinforcement
11. Biological methods of stabilizing the slopes, streams and ponds
12. Research and utilization of combustion wastes and tailings in geoengineering solutions
13. The selection and optimization of the properties of soil mixtures
14. Geoengineering methods of spatial management of mining areas
15.Overview of geoengineering solutions in Poland and tworldwide in applications of public, hydrotechnic and underground construction.
During classes there are performed projects of geoengineering solutions covering the following topics:
- Determination the type of soils and size of soil constructions (embankments, flood embankments)
- Analysis of bearing capacity and soil settlement under designed soil construction
- Insulation and filtration solutions for embankments
- Improvement of the soil under embankment
Specific tasks include:
• Model of subsoil, determination of geotechnical parameters
• Selection of soil for an embankment
• Determination of soil compaction techniques
• Designing the geometry of an embankment
• Checking the stability of an embankment
• Assessment of bearing capacity
• Settlements prediction
• Designing the layout and the dimensions of sand piles
• Prediction of the behavior of reinforced subsoil
Type of course
• Ability to determine the properties of the environment essential for geoengineering projects
• Knowledge of the legal conditions of engineering geological solutions
• Ability to apply prediction methods of subsoil behavior in geoengineering solutions
• Knowledge of improving methods of soil and engineering structures
• Information on trends of geoengineering development.
attendance at the classes - a maximum of three absences during the whole semester are allowed, a fourth absence causes the student to fail the classes
• continuous assessment (preparation for classes and activity)
• successful preparation of the project
• written test
Final tests for lecture grade. (written test and possible of oral test in repeated term)
Final grade will be the mean of classes and lecture grades.
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: