Physical Chemistry II 1200-1CHFIZ2W4
The course comprises:
- the basis of thermodynamics
- the basis of chemical statics, thermodynamic criteria of equilibrium,
- phase equilibria in one- and multicomponent systems,
- interpretation of phase diagrams for one-, two- and three component systems
- processes of distillation, rectification and extraction
- properties of electrolyte solutions
- electrodes and cells, reactions, Nernst equation, determination of physicochemical constants from EFM measurements,
- transport in solutions and gases,
- interfacial phenomena, thermodynamics of interfaces (adsorption, surface tension) and colloide,
- chemical kinetics of simple and complexed reactions
- basis of electrochemical kinetics,
- electric and magnetic properties of molecules
Type of course
After the course the student:
- knows the basic terms and how to use them in thermodynamics, thermochemistry, chemical kinetics, electrochemistry,
- knows the main relationships in physical chemistry and how to use them to explain the physicochemical processes,
- knows and understands the basis of fundamental physicochemical processes,
- understands the phase diagrams for one-, two- and three-component systems
- is able to predict a direction of physicochemical processes after the change of various parameters, like temperature, pressure, concentration, potential,
- knows which experimental methods can be used in investigations of the physicochemical processes,
is able to determine the fundamental physicochemical parameters from the experimental data
After each semester, the student is obliged to pass the exam.
The exam is in the written form and consists of two parts:
- test (5 questions). Student has to justify the chosen answer.
- 6 open questions.
Exam is passed when the number of gained points is at least 50%.
According to the new study regulations, attendance in the lectures is mandatory. Absence in 4 lectures in the semester is accepted.
1. P.W. Atkins, Chemia Fizyczna. PWN
2. B.N. Barrow, Chemia Fizyczna, PWN
3. K. Pigoń, Z.Ruziewicz, Chemia Fizyczna. PWN, 2005
4. Praca zbiorowa, Chemia Fizyczna, PWN, Warszawa 1980
5. H. Buchowski, W. Ufnalski, Elementy termodynamiki chemicznej, Oficyna Wydawnicza PW, Warszawa 1993.
6. A. Kisza, Elektrochemia I. Jonika i Elektrochemia II. Elektrodyka, WNT, 2000,
7. E.T. Dutkiewicz, Fizykochemia Powierzchni, WNT, 1998
8. A. Molski, Wprowadzenie do Kinetyki Chemicznej, WNT 2001
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: