Physics III (Oscillations and Waves) 1100-2AF12
Lecture is devoted to a periodic motion of simple physical systems and to fundamentals of waves traveling within elastic medium, and electromagnetic waves.
Lecture is addressed to students of third semester. The aim of the lecture is an introduction to the physics of oscillations and mechanical waves, electromagnetic waves and the wave nature of particles. Physical phenomena related to periodic motion and waves will be illustrated by demonstrations.
1. Periodic motion of simple physical systems (simple and physical pendulum, springs, electrical circuits), harmonic oscillations, simple, damped and driven oscillations and resonance.
2. Oscillations of systems having many degrees of freedom.
3. Superposition of harmonic oscillations. Analysis of complex oscillations. Fourier theorem.
4. Wave equation. Standing waves and traveling waves.
5. Mechanical waves traveling within elastic medium and fundamentals of acoustics. Properties of waves. Energy in wave motion. The Doppler effect.
6. Mechanical waves at the boundary of two media. Reflection and refraction.
7. Electromagnetic waves in vacuum and in the matter. Energy in electromagnetic waves, Poynting vector. The Doppler effect. Comparison of properties of mechanical and electromagnetic waves.
8. Interference and diffraction of mechanical and electromagnetic waves.
9. Laws of geometric optics. Reflection and refraction. Simple optical instruments.
10. Polarization of light. Birefringence.
11. Diffraction and interferation of waves.
Rules of a pass:
1. Rule of a training pass: ? 50% colloquium points.
2. Written exam is open for all students.
3. Oral exam is open for students who passed a training or students who obtain ? 50% written exam points.
Main fields of studies for MISMaP
1. F.S. Crawford, Waves.
2. J. Ginter, Fizyka fal.
3. H.D. Young, R.A. Freedman, University Physics.
4. D. Halliday, R. Resnick, J. Walker, Podstawy Fizyki, tom 2 i 4.
5. Sz. Szczeniowski, Fizyka doświadczalne, Optyka.
6. M. Baj, G. Szeflińska, M. Szymański, D. Wasik, Zadania i problemy z fizyki. Drgania i fale skalarne.
7. M. Baj, G. Szeflińska, M. Szymański, D. Wasik, Zadania i problemy z fizyki. Fale elektromagnetyczne. Fale materii.
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: