Physics II (for PhBM-PhM & NI) 1100-1BF21
Basic information on electricity and magnetism will be presented in the lecture.
Following topics will be given a special attention:
1. Electrostatics, Coulomb law, Gauss law, a work in the field of forces, a potential, a conductor capacitance.
2. Electric field in the presence of conductors. E=0 inside a conductor, electric charges on surfaces, electric field perpendicular to the conductor surface.
3. Electric field in the presence of dielectrics. A dielectric in a parallel capacitor, vectors: E, P, D, cavities, capacitance of a capacitor with a dielectric.
4. Constant current, equation of continuity, Ohm's law, Joule' heat, Kirchhoff's laws, thermoelectric effects, electric circuits, electromotive force.
5. Forces acting on a conductor In magnetic field, Lorentz force, Ampere's force, constant current engine, Bior-Savart's law, Gauss law, Ampere's.
6. Alternating current, electromagnetic induction. Circuits with alternating current, inductance, mutual induction, transformer.
7. Magnetic properties of matter.
8. Conclusions - Maxwell's equations.
Description by Adam Babiński, January 2012
Type of course
Two colloquia, final written and oral examination
Basic textbook (in Polish):
D. Halliday, R. Resnick, J. Walker, Podstawy fizyki, t. 3 ,PWN 2003, 2005, 2006
Additional textbooks (in Polish):
A. K. Wróblewski, J. A. Zakrzewski, Wstęp do fizyki, t. 2 część 1 i część 2, PWN 1991
Jan Gaj, Elektryczność i magnetyzm, Wydawnictwa UW, 2000
David J. Griffiths, Podstawy elektrodynamiki, PWN, 2001
R.P.Feynman, R.B.Leighton, M.Sands, Feynamana wykłady z fizyki, PWN, 2007
Problems (in Polish):
D. Halliday, R. Resnick, J. Walker, Podstawy fizyki, Zbiór zadań PWN, 2005
A. Hennel, W. Szuszkiewicz, Zadania i problemy z fizyki PWN, 1997
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
- Applications of Physics in Biology and Medicine, first cycle programme
- Geophysics in Geology, full-time, first cycle programme
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: