MD/PS-Methods of Working with Families 2300-MD/PS-MPR
During the course students will explore various methods of working with families in need, which are the necessary to work in following professions: the social educator,family assistant, specialist of working with families and the social worker.
The course will focus on the following issues:
1.Family in need: the main strategies and forms of intervention in working as a representative of educational, pedagogical and social services.
2.Family therapies: the main directions, trends and controversies.
3.Family in crisis: the crisis and its types, solution focused brief therapy, life-space ecological therapy.
4.Family and violence: the methods of working with families, perpetrators and victims of family abuse.
5.Family and emotional harm: methods of intervention, behavioral therapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy.
6.Family with communication problems: video interaction training, family group conferences.
7.Family after trauma: death and mourning, the family and the illness, family and mental disorders.
Type of course
After completing the course, student:
- Knows and defines basic concepts such as: crisis, violence, emotional harm, trauma, etc.,
- Recognizes the problems of families in need and families in crisis,
- Performs analysis and interpretation of psychological theories in the context of their suitability for family assistance,
- Describes the most frequently used strategies and forms of intervention in working with families in need,
- Explains and illustrates the usefulness of various methods of intervention in the family system,
- Demonstrates the chosen method of working with the family ,
- Selects the most appropriate methods of working with a particular family based on the assessment of its needs,
- Formulates recommendations for working with individual family members and the entire family system,
- Builds individual plan of family assistance/support,
- Applies ethical standards in working with family,
- Appreciates the need for confidentiality, acceptance and understanding in working with family.
Methods and criteria of the course assessment:
- Presentation of one method of working with family,
- Theoretical essay on one type of family therapy and preparation of a description of the family situation from the point of view of a specific theoretical approach
- Writing (in group) a family assistance/support plan.
If more absences or lack of preparation for classes the student is required to pass an overdue material.
Information on level of this course, year of study and semester when the course unit is delivered, types and amount of class hours - can be found in course structure diagrams of apropriate study programmes. This course is related to the following study programmes:
Additional information (registration calendar, class conductors, localization and schedules of classes), might be available in the USOSweb system: